Xbox Scorpio

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by PersonalRiot, Apr 6, 2017.

1. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

Notes from Reddit:
    CPU

• Scorpio - 8 custom cores (described as "evolved" Jaguar cores) clocked at 2.3 GHZ (x86)
    • Xbox One - 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 1.75 GHZ
    • PS4 Pro - 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 2.1 GHZ
    GPU

• Scorpio - 40 customized compute units at 1172 Mhz
    • Xbox One - 12 GCN compute units at 853 Mhz (914 Mhz on the S)
    • PS4 Pro - 36 improved GCN compute units at 911 Mhz
    Memory and memory bandwidth

• Scorpio - 12 GB GDDR5, 326 GB/s bandwidth
    • Xbox One - 8 GB DDR3 + 32 MB ESRAM, 68 GB/s for DDR3 and 204 GB/s for the ESRAM.
    • PS4 Pro - 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s bandwidth
    Hard drive

• Scorpio - 1 TB HDD
    • Xbox One - 500 GB/1 TB/2 TB HDD
    • PS4 Pro - 1 TB HDD
    Optical Drive

• Scorpio - 4K UHD Blu-Ray
    • Xbox One - Blu Ray on Xbox One, 4K UHD Blu-Ray on Xbox One S
    • PS4 Pro - Blu-Ray
    Other notes from the video:

• "At the front end of the GPU sits the command processor, which takes the instructions from the CPU and processes them. And here's where things get really interesting - Microsoft's engineer's have effectively made a hardware implementation of DX12 integrated directly into the GPU command processor. Draw call instructions on the CPU that would typically require thousands of instructions are now reduced to just 11. Yes, 11. State changes that are also heavy on CPU are now cut down to just 9. Microsoft tells me that this custom hardware alteration should drop CPU rendering workload by half on titles built on DX12 renderers."

• Compute power for the Scorpio GPU is rated at 6.0 TF (compared with 1.31 for the Xbox One, 1.84 for the PS4, and 4.2 for the PS4 Pro).

• "So compared to the new Sony console [PS4 Pro], that's an additional 11% Radeon hardware, but a 27% boost to frequency, combined this gives Scorpio a 43% compute advantage."

• Scorpio will allow 8 GB of RAM for games, compared with 5 GB of RAM available for games on the Xbox One and PS4 Pro. That leaves 4 GB available for the Scorpio OS, meaning it will reportedly be able to render the dashboard at native 4k.

• "[Forza 6] is hitting 4k at 60 frames per second effortlessly. Take a look at the GPU utilization at the top there - 66.19%. Now I personally have seen this demo running on Scorpio hardware and the utilization does vary. I saw it drop as low as 55% with fewer cars on screen, and it can go as high as say 70%. But the point is that this is a straight Xbox One port. The only Scorpio enhancement is the resolution and the inclusion of 4k art assets. This means that, yes, we will see 1080p Xbox One games running at native 4k on Scorpio. But more than that, the fact that the hardware is kind of underutilized means that there's a ton of GPU power left over for making the game look much better."
    Riot:

Looks nice, depending how much time I want to play on my Xbox 1 later this year I'll likely see if there is a decent trade in deal as it is a 1-1 for games played anyways. Nice to see a good push on the console perspective in terms of custom hardware rather than just being so-so pre-built HTPCs.

2. DARKTIDE!!
    Veteran Staff Member Xen of Onslaught CO

Bomb Dropper
    One day we may be able to link Sony, or Microsoft groups into the website. That will be a good day...

I will never personally own any console again unless it's for KH3.... but man that persona 5 looks good too.