Time for a new rig

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ironjaw, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    So my current pc is about 4 years old and is a tweaked Dell I got on clearance on black friday, like the pc I had before it (an xps). Looking to spend about 1k on a new one.

My friend put this together:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Erous/saved/6jCfrH

Never having used a SS drive is 500gb enough? My current one is 450gb and is full from all my steam games. Should I get a regular hard drive as well or a bigger ss?

Any other comments or suggestions?

2. Obscure
    Veteran Crowfall Member

First and foremost, DO NOT BUY A 970, Nvidia just launched their 1070 and 1080 graphics cards that are a pretty giant leap in terms of performance. Wait until they become available(out of stock everywhere) in one of your retailers nearby and buy the 1070.

I will assume this PC will be used for gaming and everyday usage.

1)Do you intend on overclocking your CPU? If not, there is no need for a -K processor or a Z170 chipset or an aftermarket cooler.
    2)Your SSD will be enough for your OS, programs and games. But if you want mass storage and have a large library of movies and photos, you will have struggles. 2TB HDDs are not that expensive and most computers nowadays have an SSD for OS+Software and a HDD for mass storage.

If you do intend to keep your current setup with the 6600K, I'd suggest you change your motherboard to the Asus Z170-A , it's slightly cheaper and I'd trust ASUS more than MSI, plus it looks gorgeous. You could also change to an air cooler if you want to save a couple of dollars while not really sacrificing any performance, a budget air cooler is the Hyper 212 Evo . Also, changing your SSD to a 850 Evo which are proven to be fast,reliable and the software that come with them is pretty good.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you should get the non-Founders edition of the 1070, since it will be cheaper and in most cases better than the Founders.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  3. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    Hmm sounds good, I am not married to this setup its just what my friend put together and proposed. Budget is definitely a thing because I do have a kid in daycare now and a mother going through cancer treatments but I want a rig I can buy thats going to last me a few years without having to tinker with it. I am currently full up on a 500gb hard drive but my game backlog is very full and I have slowed way down on buying them. mostly for new high end games and MMOs and I am just tired of having to turn down my graphics.

4. Obscure
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Part list

This is what I'd go with. Sure, you're sacrificing a bit of performance by not going with an unlocked processor, but that's not going to be a major difference in games. Went with the H170 chipset which sacrificed us a few usb ports and limited us to 2133mhz memory, but again, that's fine for gaming. Better SSD, put in a 2TB HDD for mass storage, the case is preference so if you don't like mine you can go ahead and change that. And I left the GPU out of the part list since 1070 are not listed in pc part picker yet. But expect that to cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of 400$.

Overall, it's a beast of a gaming rig that will run games at 1440p at a very stable 60fps.

If you want to drive the cost down, I'd suggest you wait until after the summer, when AMD will have released it's line up of graphics cards and maybe Nvidia will also have released their GTX 1060. It all depends on your preference, if you are gaming at 1080p and don't intend on upgrading your monitor to something like a 2560x1440p 144hz, you don't have to get a top of the line GPU.

5. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    I dont do anything crazy with the monitors, I just have duel screen setup

6. Obscure
    Veteran Crowfall Member

I'd suggest you wait a bit until benchmarks of AMD's RX 480 comes out. AMD has claimed that their 480 will be able to bring "VR capable" performance and the price on it will be 200$. So if you're just doing 1080p 60fps, then that card would be the perfect one for you. But again, we have to wait and see if what AMD is claiming is actually true.

7. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    as always, tech keeps evolving quickly outdating everything hah

8. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    So after about 5k of unexpected hospital bills this year socked away $1,000 in xmas money to get this pc. Is there decent sales this time of year? Could go a little higher if needed. Looking for something to last me a few years, tired of repurposing delll XPS systems cheap and then frankensteining something together where im throttled by the cpu

9. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Sales are pretty much past now, but you may find something if you look this week because someone may end up doing an after Christmas sale or New Years sale to try and clear some extra inventory.

New CPUs from AMD are coming out in 1 month or less, they are supposed to launch at CES which is in a week and a half. Intel has new Kaby Lake processors coming out soon too, but they are not much more than the current Skylake CPUs so not really worth waiting for other than the motherboards are slightly better.

10. DARKTIDE!!
    Veteran Staff Member Xen of Onslaught CO

Bomb Dropper
    Returns and Open box items are going to be big til about mid January. Always is.

EniGmA1987 likes this.
  11. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
  12. EniGmA1987

13. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

How is the market looking for GPU Enigma? Better to wait or buy these days. I updated the rest of my rig last year but I still have an old GTX670 cooking away in it. Most of the games I play (iso RPG, Overwatch, WoW, etc) aren't exactly taxing but it is going to need an upgrade one day.

14. EniGmA1987

AMD is going to showcase their "VEGA" class GPU in about 20 hours from this post. Nvidia is also rumored to be potentially launching the 1080Ti this month (most likely depending on how well received and powerful AMD's VEGA is). So definitely wait a couple days and we will see whats up.
    How much are you looking to spend on the new GPU?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  15. EniGmA1987

AMD's presentation was pretty much a joke. But looking at the die size of the GPU, the HBM2 it comes with (even if only 8GB), the presentation saying 2.6x better geometry throughput (AMD's main weakness in the past few generation), and the improved cache I would estimate that the new Vega GPU will be somewhere between a GTX 1080 and a Titan X (if the 2.6x geometry throughput increase is true). Which means pretty good performance, likely for around $450-500. It is supposed to launch within the next few months.

So you could either get that or look at what GTX 1080's cost around the time you want to buy something. My guess will be they will drop in price to around $450-500 as well.

16. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    made $500 plowing this weekend, between that and the money i socked away over xmas should be good to go. This frankenstein pc from 2012 has done its duty

17. EniGmA1987

So same parts listed above in the build, expect get this CPU and Motherbord instead now:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX8067...=UTF8&qid=1484064433&sr=8-1&keywords=i5-7600K

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PRIME-Z...UTF8&qid=1484064458&sr=1-1&keywords=ASUS+Z270

They are basically the same price so no big deal, and they perform basically the same, but they do come with a couple extra features that are useful for a computer that will be used for many years:
    The 7xxx processors support 4K netflix streaming on PC, something no previous processors support because of some hardware decoders and DRM stuff that was needed.
    The Z270 motherboards have 4 extra PCI-E channels for a bit more I/O capability, and support Intel "Optane" memory which is the new 3DXpoint stuff that is supposed to be really good for new solid state drives.
    Extra 300MHz core speed for the same price
    Higher overclock speeds if you choose to overclock.
    Support for faster RAM speeds if you end up buying faster stuff later on down the road.

So its worth the couple bucks extra to get the newly launched processor and motherboards if you are buying a new system now.

18. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    hmm sweet ok, i remembered hearing the guys saying there was some new stuff coming the beginning this year so I wasnt in a huge rush and with the wife and kid there is always something to spend the $ on

19. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    After months of my check being in the mail I finally have my PC money, any last minute changes? Anything to wait for or upgrade? Or am I clear to go

20. EniGmA1987

If you have extra money go with a 7700K instead of a 7600K. But if you dont have the extra money then dont worry bout it too much.