The PSN Story

Discussion in 'Public General Chat' started by Arimil, May 11, 2011.

1. Arimil
    Veteran Admin

Alright, so lets start at the beginning. Geohot figures out how to bypass the security of the PS3 that Sony put millions of dollars into. Sony takes Geohot to court many consumers and hacking groups back Geohot saying that once we buy a product we are free to do whatever we want with it, it is now ours. Geohot loses the court case despite winning the same case against Apple. Shortly after a group called Anonymous declares and attack on Sony.

A day later they withdraw their attack saying that at this time they are not targeting Sony and OpSony has been shutdown. A few days later, PSN goes down, reports say that there was a text file found on the server named "Anonymous" that contains the following.

PSN remains down for an extended period of time. Rumors start circulating that the hackers that caused the PSN to go down are planning another attack due to the poor nature that Sony handled the situation (shutting down the PSN for a month). Estimated loss by Sony is currently in the billions.

Anonymous continuously denies that it was involved in the Sony breach. A week or so later, Anonymous says that one of their members has gone rogue and taken over 2 of their websites. These sites they considered "compromised" the irc and web servers at these sites are considered not a safe place to go to. The member says he believes the group has become to centralized and has been DDoSing them.

And that's the story.

2. Secksy
    Veteran

No, not another attack! I need to download FF9, dammit. D:

3. SamHamwich
    Veteran

I'd like to play a multiplayer game at some point, still hopeful they can catch this feller.

4. Terand

Good luck with that :p

5. SamHamwich
    Veteran

Yeah, not going to happen, but hopefully he slips up and does something dumb, like ask for some ransom money or something.

6. Terand

We can only hope. I am not a big playstation but the stuff the owners are going through really sucks.

7. Kigi

I think this is relatively funny but i fret for my bank account. Who ever did it apparently wants to take anon down by pining them to it. (like anon would ever stop existing anyways) This kind of thing isnt the anon "way of doing things". They dont want to steal peoples money, they just want the companies to stop existing.
    Sony said they are gonna give away a years worth of some identity theft service and a month of psplus. Which brings me to the question of why arent they just making sony a pay for online thing. Sure kids might get mad but what are they gonna do about it? Play the wii? yeah, right. If ps does go subscription, it would probably be considerably cheaper than xbox and buying a gaming computer.

Just my 2 cents on this retardedness.

8. Arimil
    Veteran Admin

The sub is actually the major downfall to PSN, since there isn't one there is no support. You can't report people, so now that the system is open all hell breaks loose because people can't report people that are cheating and get them banned. Really devs should just stop being cheap and start doing calculations server side rather than client side but that'll probably never happen. Getting an account banned also costs you money since you lose the rest of your sub and need to make a new account. This has stopped it from running rampant and is the most common inhibitor of cheating.

9. Terand

An XBL sub a month is only $8 USD which isn't that much. I don't think that lowering the price $4 or so will make much of a difference. I think it would be a good idea for Sony to start doing it. That way they can get some extra revenue in to help with security.

10. Rubius
    Veteran Xenforcer

Software Engineer
    They most likely will convert to a paid subscription model after this fiasco, and also to make up for the billions they're losing. However I think it'll be several months to a year before you see anything of this sort.