Temp management

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by haibane, May 30, 2018.

1. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Hey guys,

I've fiddled with the fans so that they aren't too noisy but i keep the CPU fan at 2000 rpm all the time (or more if temp goes above 70C).

My idle temp, for some reason is 52 celcius atm (on HWinfo die and Ryzen Master) it goes down to 40ish usually and up to 72ish when i game. Edit : it seems that the temp goes up to 52 whenever Ryzen Master is on, if i close it it goes back to 42 at Tdie on Hwinfo, figures.

Are those correct temps ? Or is it too high for the CPU ?

I'm thinking of getting an AIO to cool the CPU as it'd be less noisy and much more efficient. I was thinking NZXT but it seems to have reliability issues ?

I believe those two would be the best and look almost as cool as the NZXT, i have no idea what's their diff :

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-C...767112&sr=1-2&keywords=Thermaltake+Floe+Riing

and

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-S...27766835&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=AIO+cooler+280

It seems it's the RGB ?

If you think also that it's better than the NZXT i'll take those :)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

idle seems a tad high at 42 but probably nothing much to worry about. Some reviews I see they reach into the low 80's on the stock cooler under full load so gaming in the low 70s should be fine. Maximum temp is supposed to be 95, but my guess is there will be some stability problems as soon as the CPU gets into the high 80s just like on Intel platforms.

If anything Id try getting some Thermal Grizzly and seeing what improvements some high end TIM will do before spending $190CAD on a cooler. You will want to wipe off the existing TIM with a towel that has IPA on it. So if you dont have any rubbing alcohol around your house already you can get a small bottle from either online or at a store.

3. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Alright thanks,

It's pretty hot these days too room temperature is around 27 even with AC it's like 25.

But I don't mind investing in an AIO as I keep my computers for 5-8 years so I want them to be in top shape !

4. EniGmA1987

Reliability may be a concern with an AIO though. You have the potential for leaks in the fittings, pump failure after years, and even coolant loss that can cause a problem after years of slowly bleeding out through the lines. Air coolers are far more reliable. The only thing you may have to change is a fan after a few years down the line if the bearing goes bad. While I havent personally had any problems with AIO coolers, I also havent used them for more than a year each. And if you look at forums there are plenty of reports of leaking fittings.

This reminds me though, its past time for me to do maintenance on my water cooling loop. Last I looked at it I was down almost half an inch in the reservoir and that was a couple months ago.

5. Deadend
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Monkey.
    my corsair liquid cooler is still going strong after 2 years.

6. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Yeah that's my worry too but I don't know if I can fit a noctua in my case.

EVGA can refund if there is a leak but NZXT seems that they don't

And for close water loop like every AIO how do you even see liquid level and replace the thing ? I guess it's more feasible with custom cooling but those AIO products ?

I'm really really worried of a leak that screws the whole system.

7. EniGmA1987

There are only a couple AIO systems that you can see and top off the water level, EK and Swiftech. The Swiftech has extremely bad reviews and I think I heard they were not even making them anymore. Havent heard anything on the EK since it was announced. Only those who have done water cooling before even realize that the cooland slowly leaks out into the air and your level in the system goes down over time. It usually takes around 2 years before you lose an ammount to be noticeable, but I would think it will be an issue after 4 years with it. Having a bubble of air going through the lines will lead to bad cooling performance over time.

They are still great systems, but I just personally wouldnt plan on using on for 5+ years.

8. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

So i should just plan to replace them every 4 years?

I'm not sure if the NH u12s see am4 is enough and the NHD 15 is too big, so are the be quiet dark power.

I think this would be my best choice for cooling vs having a good sleep without worry : https://m.newegg.com/products/13C-001F-00026

Edit or not cuz some dude on YouTube did the test and it's just 5C cooler than stock.

Ek cooling is vewwwy expensive and I don't know where does one put the reserve. Inside the case ? Then it'll take the space for the GPU no ?

I really want to try out the kraken x62 tho but I'll be sooooo worried that it breaks.

9. EniGmA1987

The EK cooling AIO's are a semi-custom system that is pre-filled with coolant. There is no reservoir and the pump is mounted directly to the radiator. The radiator mounts the same way as any other AIO or water cooling radiator does and the CPU block goes to the CPU and then plugs into the radiator unit. But yes, they are very expensive, and you can get the same cooling potential for less money with another brand of AIO.

10. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Ok I fired the gun and went for the h115i pro from Corsair, a brand with good support.

I can't see if it comes with thermal paste or not and I'll have to clean mine first right ?

Edit bought the thermal grizzly and the kit to clean so that it'll be easier to replace the paste in 3 years lol.

11. Deadend
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Monkey.
    Corsair stuff come with a pre-applied patch on the heatsink. But you can just wipe it off and use the premium stuff you bought if you want.

12. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Yeah i figured i might go all in 10$ extra for the grizzly seem to make a diff

13. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Just a small question : I should just spread the grizzly on the processor or on the cooler ?

I think I have to apply a pea of paste and spread it with the rubber thing they provided.

Should I put the same thickness than what is provided with the coolers (like half a millimeter) or more ?

14. Deadend
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Monkey.
    lots of videos on youtube showing what to do with that.

15. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Yeah i'll Always refer to them for the user's guide

16. EniGmA1987

just put a little bit in the middle of the CPU.

17. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Alright i've installed the 115i Pro, went well. However, the corsair Link software is totally not working with the ryzen 2700X, it gives temperatures of 87C idle and pump + fans go crazy.

I saw this reported on the corsair forums.

So, i guess i should just not run link at all until they fix it and leave the pump running on silent mode ? It should be enough to cool the CPU right ?

18. EniGmA1987

Ive never run the link software. I dont want junk software installed and especially not running monitoring sensors on my computer. If there is a problem and a pump goes out then the computer will shutoff from over temp protection, no big deal.

19. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

ok but then how is the pump speed managed without link ? It will remain in balanced mode I guess at 2100 rpm ?

I guess it's alright tho as it's silent and the cpu went up to 58C max in 2 hours of gaming, a solid 20 degrees difference with air.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  20. EniGmA1987

Does corsair not have a button on the pump anymore? I havent looked in years since I no longer use them but my last corsair H100 (I think?) had a pump speed button on the pump itself.