Over Clocking an Intel Chip

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GeneralNemesis, Sep 11, 2011.

1. GeneralNemesis
    Veteran

So Right now I am using an Intel Core 2 Duo e8400, and it's at 3ghz to start off with. I have been trying to get to 4 ghz, bought a fan, and that fun stuff, to get some more life out of this guy. I've done everything I've read and thought I finally had it working but when running cpu z it says that it goes to 2700 ghz and won't really go higher even when I use like prime 95. There was another program that said it was clocked to 4.1.

If Anyone could give osme tips, or ideas, that would be Great. Thanks.

I attatched a file as well. If anyone needs, we could always go on TS to talk about it as well.

Attached Files:

2. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Your multiplier is 6, so thats why the speed is like that. You need to set the multiplier up closer to its maximum. What is the default fsb speed? I dont even remember what it was back in the days of those chips anymore. It seems you have a general understanding of OCing that as you got your base fsb to 445 and your rated fsb to 1780. Good stuff. But you need to put the multiplier back up higher and your problem will be solved. its at 6 now, try setting it to 8. That will give you around 3.5GHz. If that works fine, bump it to 8.5 and do some testing. If its still good, do 9. 9 will give you pretty much exactly 4GHz

3. GeneralNemesis
    Veteran

Ah you're totally correct. I must have forgot about it because it's on a completely different section then the part where you have to change the fsb speed and what not. I have one other question for you. I used to have 4 gigs or ram, but one ran poorly with memtest and seemed to crash my computer so i started using 3. At this point would it be smart to get a full new set of ram for 4 gigs, or even 2 sets for 8 gigs, which are ddr2 6400, or Would it just be wasting money? I know there are corsair ones for 50, and some others for like 25 for 2 sets for 4 gigs. My mobo is an old asus p5k SE, and I beleive can take up to 8 with 4 slots for 2 gigs each.

4. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Well if you want to get more life out of the system and plan on keeping it a while then sure you can get another ram kit. Its only $50. It might be one of the last chances you have to get some decent DDR2 because no one makes it any more. But if you want to upgrade sometime soon then I wouldn't waste the money, it would be better putting that $50 into the new computer