Is there a main difference

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TwilightAngel, Mar 29, 2017.

1. TwilightAngel
    Veteran Chronicles of Elyria Member

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
  2. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

You are mostly paying for the upgrade to have a pre-built liquid kit. Both boards on honestly overkill for most rigs unless you are playing to build a Crossfire/SLI monster with a bunch of 1080Tis in it.

3. TwilightAngel

haha......... I enjoy not having to upgrade for another 5 yrs. The most would be a better graphics card before I need to do the CPU unless something WAY better comes out with in that 5yr mark

4. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

The Extreme has the built in water block for the VRM and CPU section, so you are paying a ton of money for that.
    The Formula you are still paying extra for a water block over the VRM, but not a full block that covers the CPU too.
    I would go with the Hero model really because that one is the best bang for your buck. You dont need water cooling over the VRMs and if you have a water cooling system then you most likely already have a block that fits the CPU anyway since mount holes have been the same for 3-4 years now. And if you want to go with water cooling then it is still better to get the Hero and buy a better block from someone like Watercool.de. Sure with the Hero you are missing out on some of the very top end RAM kits, but you are not going to be running those anyway so it doesnt matter.

5. TwilightAngel

Went with the Maximus IX Formula with the i7 7700k and the DDR 4 16GB Dominator ram since I saved a lot at microcenter with price matching and bundle deals. Next month ordering a 1080Ti to replace my 980ti

My boyfriend went with the Ryzen 7 1700x and Maximus IX Hero and vengeance RGB 16GB ram and taking my 980TI.

I took the i7 bc it suits what I do and he did the ryzen since it would benefit what he wants to do