WSOD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wauzers, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Wauzers
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Security guard
    Recently my pc crashes to a white screen of death. Also had pink screen and black screen in the past.
    Both monitors go to white screen. Sound freezes and everything is frozen.
    It stays like this till i restart my computer.

I cannot find any dump files or event logs nor any good information about it.
    I use windows essentials and Advanced system care to keep my computer clean.
    Its dust free.

It mostly happends when i play older games. Never had it while playing new games.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev3
    I7 2600k - not OC
    16gb 2133mhz mushkin memory
    Evga geforce 570 HD 2.5gb
    2x Samsung SSD 840 pro in Raid 0 with OS

2. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Could be a bug in the graphics drivers for how it does legacy functions. Since you had different color screens that usually means graphics card, as Windows will go to a blue screen if there is anything that causes a kernel panic. No log files points to a memory issue, so my guess is there is something in the graphics drivers that is not functioning properly and causing a failure in the memory. Nvidia is known for having some pretty bad support for older things, especially of the Fermi generation.

3. Rune
    Veteran

AMS Lead
    Yeah, Enigma is spot on. I've experienced similar and it's usually something to do with the graphics card when the screen whites out or pinks out. You may want to look for beta drivers for your graphics card.

4. Wauzers
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Security guard
    I have been installing the older drivers that worked fine in the past. Now also crashes. I reinstalled all my other drivers also.

Nothing seem to work. The crashing only happends when i change maps in the game.

I did test the videocard with Furmark. 0 Problems and was stable.
    Ran a memtest also. Passed with no problems.

I am really starting to run out of options. Dont want to reinstall complete windows -.-'

5. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Did you completely wipe all trace of the drivers? or just do a standard uninstall? Because doing regular uninstall will leave files behind and then the old version drivers will see you have a newer version of a file and wont overwrite it, leaving you with a hybrid of old and new parts. You have to make sure and wipe out every trace of the drivers and then reboot before installing the old driver version.

6. Wauzers
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Security guard
    I changed to new beta drivers atm. OpenGL 4.5 is out. Changed the voltage of my videocard a bit up.
    Checked all my SSD settings. Did a full clean up of my pc.

Havent crashed since but cant tell so soon if its fixed or not.