When would be the best time to upgrade for 4k gaming

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by haibane, May 8, 2017.

1. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Now that I know which screen to grab :)

I saw that the 20x is due this year but it's still a Pascal, Volta geforce aren't before 2018 it seems.

Are AMD chips a viable option in 2017 ?

Or is volta kinda mandatory for 60+ fps in 4k ?

2. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Wont know till tomorrow whether AMD will be viable for 4K or not.
    From everything I have seen they will not be, but AMD might have a more powerful version of Vega they have been hiding that they will show off tomorrow.

3. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Alright thanks enigma.

Do you think a 2080 TI would be enough ?

For what I've read to Vega seems to be very very disappointing indeed, just be a contender for the current 1080...

4. EniGmA1987

2080Ti wont release for quite some time still, but yes I am sure it will be enough for 4k. Typically next gen cards have the top of the midrange series having the same performance as the very top end of the gen before it. So 1180/2080 (depending on naming scheme Nvidia uses) will be around Titan XP performance, the Ti model of next gen will probably be about 30-40% faster.

There are rumors that next gen Nvidia may launch later this month or next, but they are just rumors. No way for Nvidia to release a next gen GPU that is any significant leap above current stuff until 2018 or very late 2017 at the earliest as GDDR6 suppliers have all confirmed they will not have GDDR6 available till 2018. Any card Nvidia launches before then will be either barely anything above current stuff and using GDDR5X, or will be server related only using HBM2. So real next gen Nvidia cards are a long way off.

5. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

So i can only build my 4k build in 2018 then ? Can i still run 4k at 30fps on a 980TI ? Don't know if it's worth it tho.

6. EniGmA1987

Looks like the projected release of May 9th for Vega was wrong, wee would have heard something by now.
    Nvidia talking about Volta is still likely tomorrow though, as that is when their keynote is during their big HPC event. It wont be news about any GeForce cards, but at least we will know some of the new technology that will be in Volta and see how much of a performance per watt increase we get.

7. EniGmA1987

GV100 looks beastly. It is of course an HPC only card, but if it is an indication of what Volta might be able to do then next gen looks pretty good, even if Nvidia doesnt use GDDR6. The "Titan Volta" model looks like it may get 5120 cuda cores, 320 TMUs, and 128ROPs. The only way to feed that is with GDDR6 or HBM2, which it is possible for Nvidia to release HBM2 versions of cards. Im hoping it goes that way, cause the new Titan looks like an absolute beast (though, probably still 6+ months away)

8. Rhodric
    Veteran Crowfall Member

i was running BDO on 4k with a 980Ti and i was sitting on around 40FPS. My system was sitting at a lovely 80 degrees... Celcius....

9. EniGmA1987

Overclocked 980Ti or completely stock?

10. EniGmA1987

AMD just announced today that Vega based graphics cards will ship late June. Im still doubting they will be any better than a GTX 1080, but from discussions I have seen people are starting to sway me. The two things that will make the difference as the clock speed, and the tile based renderer. While we dont know for sure, people have said that talk from AMD is showing that the new core design calls for higher clock speed, and if that really is true then it could bring the performance up drastically. It still wont be 2GHz, but if what they are saying is right (which Im still not sure on) then 1500MHz+ stock speed could indeed put it closer to a 1080Ti than a regular 1080.

I was one of the first people to talk about Nvidia moving to a tile based renderer a year before Maxwell even came out. No one believed me that it would bring big performance gains but then when Maxwell launched it was the #1 reason for the new performance above Kepler cores. Now AMD is finally moving to a tile based renderer, and while there is a chance they will mess it up and have some major bottleneck, chances are good it will work right and could bring 10-15% performance gains on its own just like Nvidia's did. If this hits the right points and the clock speed gets the mark too, we could see an actual Titan Xp competitor.