Prime95 error

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by haibane, May 31, 2018.

1. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Hey again,

It seems i got some issues here.

Everything is stock, nothing modified at all, i even run the DDR4 at 2133 and whenever i try to run a Prime95 i get the Fatal error "rounding was 0.5 when expected less than 0.4" hardware failure.

I have no idea what to do ? I didn't modify anything at all on the CPU ?

My CPU voltage is at 1.350 and it fluctuates between 0.862 and 1.487 in HWInfo is that normal ?

Based on this reddit post it seems that it's an error of the CPUs themselves ? (i'm not undersdtanding much) : https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/612mtd/perplexing_crashes_from_a_stock_ryzen_build/

Did a quick cinebench for CPU and got a result of 1739 very quickly (ranked 1st in the list) so i guess it's stable at least :)

I enabled XMP in bios and went up to 1753 in the score. Temp went from 40ish (idle) degrees to 70ish (bench).

HWinfo is weird too as temp readings (die) are between 33 to 45 every second, that's quite a huge gap. What's even weirder is that my CPU is at 50 C when i boot then it goes down to 35.

It'll be super cool with the corsair :D

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Make sure you have the latest version of Prime95.
    But really I wouldnt worry about it. There are many systems I have had where Prime95 failed to work even at stock. It just doesnt like some motherboard chipsets and will faile with hardware errors every time even if you downclock the processor. Every system I have had that problem on has been completely stable and never had a crash of any kind.

3. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Nice, thanks.

I had one bluescreen so far but I think it's tied to the multiple Windows updates (it was a Windows service exception).

Other than that it's very stable when I game and all !

Really like the build but it'll be definitive on Tuesday

4. EniGmA1987

5. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Ok I was wondering if I should do it as there are always horror stories with bios updates.

6. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

I've tried to update the BIOS and everytime i get a "bios read error" when i load it from the .zip file in @Bios ?

On the server from @Bios it's only the F2, so i really don't know if i should go for the USB install from BIOS on boot with the F3G it seems a little bit weird and i don't want to screw my mobo considering that everything works fine atm :)

7. EniGmA1987

You have to extract the bios from the zip file you download. Put the bios oin a flash drive, boot into the bios and select update from there.

8. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Ok i updated via Q flash and it worked. Prime95 doesn't give me errors anymore.

I'll try a real test once i've installed the AIO. It seems that i got more decent temperature reading with the flash as well, temp went up to 62 with prime but not as crazy as before (jumped to 70s right away).

Good flash !

9. EniGmA1987

Figured something like that would be the issue. Prime95 has all sorts of weird errors when any new CPU comes out. Various bios versions or program updates always seem to fix it, and only Prime95 is the thing with problems when everything else is stable. That, and how hard Prime stresses the CPU for no reason is why people dont really bother with it any more.