Looking to build new rig, input appreciated

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Zaroff, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Zaroff
    Member Black Desert Member

2. Zaroff

Also, i threw this together fairly quick. I'll end up getting a second hd, and cpu cooler

3. Jardaan
    Veteran Crowfall Member

I like the build, the motherboard is way more then you need, but I assume you chose it because you want it. I prefer intel or samsung on ssd, never used a WD ssd but I assume they hold up like the rest.
    The main thing I would change is I would bump the processor to a I7. BDO is really processor focused.
    Ironjaw just got a smokin deal from Ibuypower, you might look at the package he got, it was a full setup for like 1400 with I7 and 1080

4. Zaroff

Honestly that mobo was just a random pick really. I want a decent mobo but doesnt have to be overkill. As for the processor i5 vs i7, ive heard frm a few people i5 would be more than enough. So idk. haha. Appreciate the input. any ideas what package he went with?

5. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Some games are already starting to be held back by only 4 cores if you are trying to push higher than 60 frames per second. It will only become more of an issue in the future as games have started to become heavy multithreaded since the new console generation, and they will continue to become more and more multi-thread efficient.

How long are you planning on keeping this computer?

6. Zaroff

Id prefer this to last long as possible. if i need to spend a little extra money i dont mind i suppose. Thoughts?

edit: i wouldnt mind going ryzen either, i just haven't build a pc in years and really am not up to snuff on what the best equip is.

7. EniGmA1987

Ryzen CPUs are pretty good. They lack in top of the line power per core, meaning that a single Ryzen core vs a single Kaby Lake core the Ryzen one will lose. It is about equal to an Ivy or Haswell class CPU, which is 4-5 years ago from Intel. Though Intel cores have not progressed much in 3-4 years, so that isnt as far behind as it sounds. Overall though, because Ryzen has up to 2x as many cores and they all have HyperThreading, they are very powerful CPUs and do win in multi-threaded situations. So for gaming use, an 6 or 8 core Ryzen CPU should do fine as far as 4-5 years from now. Just pair it with a good MB and some DDR-3000 or DDR-3200 RAM and you should be fine. I would expect an i7-7700K would also be perfectly fine 4-5 years from now too though. Maybe not for pushing higher FPS, but still "fine". You cant go wrong either way, the 7700K would be cheaper than an 8 core Ryzen, but you also get less PCI-E lanes for peripherals if you happen to need those.

AMD is about to rip apart Intel's high end lineup in 1-2 months from now, but I doubt you want to spend $900 on the CPU alone so the high end platforms from each company are probably out of the question.

So pick whether you want an AMD or Intel build and I can put together a system for you based on either preference.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  8. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    are the 3000 3200 ram worth it without overclocking your system etc?

9. EniGmA1987

RAM speed has a lot to do with minimum fps in games, especially when games are very heavy on the CPU side and less so on the GPU side. MMOs, RTS, some FPS, and stuff like that. MMOs also have a bottleneck in that they always have to wait for server side data too though.

Just an arbitrary example, but you could go from something like 30fps minimum with DDR-2400 to 35fps minimums with DDR-3000. The timings also matter though, If you have DDR-2400 with 10-10-10 1T and DDR-3000 with 16-18-18 2T then the 2400's would likely be better. But you can buy DDR-3200's with 14-14-14 1T and sometimes tune them even tighter and obviously that speed and timings would kick the ass of either the previous two examples.

In a very general, way oversimplified way of thinking of it:
    CPU = how much data you can crunch and how high the max fps can go
    RAM = how good the minimum frames per second can be
    GPU = how high of resolution you can run and how high the max fps can go.
    =====================================================================
    high max fps = high amounts of data crunching and a GPU than can process all the data
    high min fps = how much can we throw into ram to relieve bottlenecks
    high resolution = need a good GPU regardless of the other two things.

10. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    yeah I was just reading that the ram DDR didnt matter all the much at the end of the day comparably. just weird we have so many different ways to measure each thing.

11. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer
    and then if you have paired sticks, say two sticks at one speed do the next two sticks need to be the same speed? So say I have two 8 sticks now for 16, and i decided to get 2 more 8 sticks, do all the sticks need to be the same ddr or just the paired? would 4 at the same speed be better than two sets at different speeds?

12. Zaroff

Well i think i'd prefer 7700, does it matter 7700k vs 7700? probably ~16 gig 3200-4000mhz? then probably a 1080. I want a decent mobo, but not one that will break the bank. Same with cooling. What would your suggestion be on cooling? Liquid 120s? 240s? I think around $1500 would be my limit.

Edit: Maybe something around this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mq982R Please change or do whatever. As i said i haven't build one in ages. Last time i fully built one my 8800gt was top of the line.

13. EniGmA1987

Here is the list with everything on it:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YygQsJ

The 7700K has an extra 300MHz speed over the regular 7700 and allows for overclocking. You can save $30 dropping it down to the non-K though.
    The cooler I chose is a great cheap cooler, it will let the CPU run at around 4.7GHz no problem (if you get the OC version and turn the speed up a bit). It is really the best value for the money. While AIO liquid coolers will let you overclock higher, they also cost 3x as much, so value for the $ is far lower.

If you are going to re-use your old tower then you can take the Corsair 200R off the list and save $50

If you have an old DVD drive you can use to install Windows then you can take that off the parts list too

If you have a way to get Windows "alternatively" then you can remove Windows from the parts list.

That power supply I chose is a much better model than the EarthWatts one you had before. A gold rating is plenty fine and the stability of the voltage is in the top 3 PSUs you can buy.

I changed your motherboard because you need a Z270 chipset board if you are doing a fresh build with all new parts.

And you can drop down to a GTX 1070 and save about $100 if you are looking to save some money:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126119&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

14. EniGmA1987

If you buy new sticks at a higher speed they will only work at the speed the slower sticks are running at. You cannot run one set at one speed and the other at a different speed. RAM doesnt work that way. You also have a 50/50 shot of getting newer RAM sticks to work with other sticks in the computer. Just adding in 2 more sticks of the same speed and density will not always work, it might cause the computer to no longer boot at all. This sort of thing used to be fine, but now at these higher frequencies you really want to get matched sticks that are all pre-sorted and sold as compatible together. So if you upgrade RAM, you most likely should take out the old sticks and only use new ones.

15. Ironjaw
    Veteran Staff Member CO

Printer

Seems like shenanigans! Now I'm slightly regretting the lower numbered ram!

16. Zaroff

Awesome awesome awesome. Thank you so much for doing that enigma. It looks beautiful. probably will buy it in the next few days.

17. GoldSlayer1
    Veteran

You didn't mention what resolution you plan to game at.
    Dont know if you've purchased anything already but I'd personally recommend Ryzen.
    You can get a Ryzen 5 1600x 6 core / 12 threads for a hundred dollars less than the 7700k.
    They dont clock as high as the 7700k but have more cores and perform close to the same at 1440p and above.
    There's also been a few issues with heat problems on the 7700k (With extreme OCs) without delidding, So I wouldn't expect super high OCs on the 7700k with the 212 Evo cooler.

While Ryzen 7 had a rough start due to early adoption, a ton of the issues were already fixed as most motherboard manufacturers have started rolling out AMD's AGESA 1006 bios updates which fixed a lot of the memory compatibility issues (atleast up to 3200 Mhz).

You can swap out the CPU for a 1600X (Roughly $220-230), and an Asus Prime x370 Pro motherboard for around $150.
    The money you save can be used for a high-end cooler (high-end air or AIO water cooler) for max overclocks and cool temps.

What I liked most about this platform is the high core count for the price, and also that's its a new platform.
    In the future when AMD release new next-gen CPUs, its expected that you'll be able to upgrade CPUs (Since its expected they'll most likely be AM4 compatible) without needing to change motherboards.
    That's not the case with the 7700K and its platform.
    Z270 will top out at 7700k (4c/8t), any CPU upgrade you want in the future will require to change motherboards as well.

Ryzen IMO provides more future longevity and upgrade-ability than Intel's current line up.

I got a Ryzen 7 1700 (8c/16t) and 1080Ti and I'm very happy with it.
    I can play games like Witcher 3 at 1440p 120Hz without problems on it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMccsJ
    Here's a quick comparable swap I made. It saves you around $30 despite adding a high-end air cooler in the Noctua NH-D15. Just changed CPU, Mobo and cooler, everything else is the same as Enigma suggested.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017