Darkfall Release Date Confirmed

Discussion in 'Public General Chat' started by Kyoji, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Kyoji
    Veteran Staff Member Admin

http://www.xoohq.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=4469

January 22nd 2009 Launch Date Announced for Darkfall Online.

Athens, Greece – December 5th, 2008 - Audio Visual Enterprises SA and Aventurine SA in a joint statement today announced that their highly anticipated MMORPG title Darkfall Online will launch across Europe on January 22nd, 2009. North American players are also welcome to participate in the European launch of Darkfall which will precede a North American launch.

More details to be announced as they become available.

About Darkfall Online
    Darkfall Online is a massive multiplayer online (MMO) fantasy role-playing game featuring a fun, fast-paced, real-time combat system, massive battles, clan warfare and empire building. Darkfall combines role-playing, action, and strategic gameplay. Darkfall has been designed to create intensely realistic and highly immersive combat and a challenging, realistic environment for a more immersive experience. With full collision detection battle lines really matter and well-aimed spell blasts will send opponents flying. Darkfall's goal is to provide players with a fun and challenging experience through a seamless and zoneless, non-instanced, "sandbox" game world.
    www.darkfallonline.com

About Audio Visual Enterprises SA
    Audio Visual Enterprises SA is a leading home entertainment company located in Athens, Greece. Audio Visual is a group of companies which encompasses a large range in the field of entertainment, including video, television, cinema, and amusement parks, and is the official partner of entertainment industry giants such as Warner Bros, The Walt Disney Company, and Village Films. With Darkfall Online, and the creation of a Games division, Audiovisual enters into the field of online gaming.
    www.audiovisual.gr

About Aventurine SA
    Aventurine SA is an independent computer games developer located in Athens, Greece. Aventurine is fueled by passion for gaming and game technologies. Aventurine's main project is Darkfall Online, a groundbreaking game scheduled to launch January 22nd, 2009. Development of the game, the technology platform, game engine, and tools began in 2003. The Darkfall team consists of thirty veteran developers.
    www.aventurine.gr

info@aventurine.gr
    +30 210 6897185

sucks that NA launch will be a bit later, but at least I can play the game and test it out a bit.

also, expect open beta to come out soon... >=)

2. GeneralNemesis
    Veteran

I'll beleive it when i see it.

3. Tzepic
    Veteran Bless Online Member

qft

4. Kyoji

you dont have any other choice but to wait in anticipation as there are no other good games around with quality pvp. =P

5. Meemo

For those of us not paying attention to Darkfall, what exactly is so good about its PvP ?

6. The entire game is controlled the same way that you would play a FPS as far as combat goes. There is no targeting system to go through making all your attacks capable of hitting your allies. Defensive spells also work the same way allowing you to heal or buff enemies. The whole combat system is as dependent as any good fps as apposed to other mmos like WoW where you can basically set up a macro and go afk. You are able to freely loot anyone you kill, participate in massive naval battles as well as fight for guild cities, and of course there is the freedom to kill who ever the fuck you want.

7. Kyoji

open world sandbox game. you are free to do whatever you want.

want to craft? sure? want to pvp, go ahead! there is no emphasis on anything. Sure there are some dungeons, cities to raid, and towns to build but, they are not mandatory.

also, there are no classes. you can be whatever you want. Tank/mage, healer/mage, healer/ranger. You can spec into anything which means you can diversify into many different areas or specialize into say healing or frost magic.

Freedom to do what you want, play how you want is what is great about this game.

8. Meemo

Some further questions:

- What penalty is there for getting killed ? (If the way you get killed effects the penalty, include all of them)

- What game mechanisms are in place to prevent some asshole camping the starting areas and killing weak players until they leave Darkfall ?

- How high can you ping be before you have trouble targeting your skills reliably ?

9. When you die there is basically a gravestone where your corpse is, at that gravestone is all your shit. A player can loot that gravestone and take your shit, as far as penalties like loss of exp, I believe there is none.

Your second question is not possible. A person that is 100% new to the game has every chance to kill someone with the best gear in the game. It is all based on how good you play.

Third question, just play something like CoD4 and decide on how badly the ping effects you, it will probably be to the same extent.

10. EF2
    Veteran

Media Photographer
    Those screenshots are rather uninspiring.

11. Rubius
    Veteran Xenforcer

Software Engineer
    There is nothing great about darkfall. Srsly. I bet 99% of this forum secretly agrees with me. :)

And Kyoji, if darkfall's developers are paying you for all of this, we want a cut for having to put up with it :p

12. Meemo

Problem is, a person new to the game will have less skill than a person who has played for a while.

13. GeneralNemesis
    Veteran

This game is not for people who want to cry.

14. EF2
    Veteran

Media Photographer
    If this game is pay to play, then it'll fail. If not, i'll fail slowly.

15. Tzepic
    Veteran Bless Online Member

I miss Darktide server from Asheron's Call it had full PvP and loot on players. Those were my favorite days of MMO playing, of course that was my first MMO. I'm still looking for a game that plays like that.

16. Meemo

So how do you expect Darkfall to attract new players when they get ganked right where they start, then again when they respawn ?

Or older players joining to 'help' the new players, only to 'accidentally' hit them with a few offensive skills ?

Or do you expect Darkfall to somehow survive without new players joining in greater numbers than the old players leaving ?

17. Kyoji

not to be mean but you dont play any MMOs currently do you? The last MMo i have seen you in was WAR which you dont play anymore and AoC which failed.

You can say there is nothing great about darkfall but, are you really sure you know what you want from a game?

AoC and WAR have pvp, dfo is focused around it. No the game is not for the weak of heart but, most hate the game simply because they got screwed out of beta and are pissed that its taking so long, not because its a generally bad game.

The worst comment I have heard was the game looks like crap, thats about it, but then again, we had AoC which had great graphics and still failed.

all free games suck.

@ Meemo - the game tolerates ganking, but it has its drawbacks. If you continue to gank you will get minus rep which will make it much harder to trade, get in cities, and not get ganked by others.

Darkfall will attract new players based on the concept of skill and that it doesnt take a long time to get into the game and have fun I would imagine.

18. Meemo

Now that does answer my question. Though it does raise others:

- Are there areas where this rep penalty does not exist ?
    - If so, how will Darkfall encourage people to go to them ?
    - What ways can I initiate PvP without triggering this penalty in the areas where it can take effect ?

19. GeneralNemesis
    Veteran

Don't worry, I'll be willing to take - rep to gank you when you start the game constantly.

20. Meemo

Are you trying to drive people away from the XoO Darkfall division by insulting them instead of answering their questions ?